axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Date problems (was: Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/test/wsdl/types ComprehensiveTypes.wsdl VerifyTestCase.java)
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:47:54 GMT
Russel Butek wrote:

>> Ulimately, I believe that people will move to a WSDL first methodology.
>> Given this, I believe that the fiction of a 1-to-1 and onto mapping will
>> ultimately break down.
>
> I disagree.  We thought the same thing about IDL, but it didn't happen.  In
> the Java world folks will write EJBs.  They won't care about the transport
> protocol.  So roundtripping will continue to be an issue.

You may be right.  My feelings, for what it is worth, is based on two
observations:

1) if you control both ends of the wire, there are better protocols than
SOAP.

2) in the case where there are multiple implementations of given SOAP
interface, there can be at most one "first" implementation.  All the rest
will try to map the wire protocol onto their infrastructure.

- Sam Ruby