axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: repost of WSDL2Java question
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:53:51 GMT
Hi Mark, sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

The <port>Service.java class is the interface which the Locator implements.  It's true
this may not be strictly necessary, since no one I know of uses it yet.  It might come in
handy later though for portable clients which dont want to know what particular implementation
they're using.... *shrug*

The Skeleton class is no longer generated by default, we now put the metadata that it contained
into the WSDD descriptor.  You can still get it by specifying the --skeletonDeploy option
for the tool, though.

The port type interface itself is pretty handy, esp since that's what you get from the locator
in most cases.  It's an implementation-independent model of the actual web service methods.

The Impl isn't strictly necessary if you have your own class which implements this stuff already,
although you need to make sure that it's compatible with what the Impl looks like.  Your solution
#2 is totally reasonable in that case, just point the className parameter of the WSDD service
to your class.

Hope this helps,

--Glen

 -----Original Message-----
From: Volkmann, Mark [mailto:Mark.Volkmann@AGEDWARDS.com]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 1:46 PM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: repost of WSDL2Java question

I posted this on the axis-user list this morning, but didn't get a response so I'm trying
here.  I have an urgent need to understand this because I'm giving a presentation on Axis
soon and I don't want to mislead anyone.

I believe WSDL2Java generates eight files. I understand the benefit of these four.

{port-name}SoapBindingStub.java - class
{port-name}ServiceLocator.java - class
deploy.wsdd
undeploy.wsdd

If you already have a Java class that implements your web service operations, is there any
point in using the following generated files?

{port-name}SoapBindingSkeleton.java - class
{port-name}Service.java - interface implemented by skeleton class
{port-name}SoapBindingImpl.java - class
{port-name}.java - interface implemented by impl class

The generated deploy.wsdd file references the skeleton class.
The skeleton class uses the impl class.

It seems to me that I have two choices.
1) modify the impl class to invoke methods in my existing web service implementation class

2) modify deploy.wsdd to reference my existing web service implementation class instead of
the generated skeleton class

Both options work for me. If the generated skeleton and impl classes and their interfaces
don't add any value then I think I prefer option 2 ... four fewer classes deployed.

Am I missing something?

WARNING: All e-mail sent to and from this address will be received or
someone other than the recipient.