axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Volkmann, Mark" <>
Subject RE: repost of WSDL2Java question
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:04:45 GMT

Thanks so much for your reply!  That cleared up a number of questions I had.

When you say "The Skeleton class is no longer generated by default" do you
mean in nightly releases after beta 1?
It seems to me that beta 1 does generated it by default.

I think it would be useful to add an option to WSDL2Java that would identify
an already existing implementation class. That could cause it to
1) refer to that class in the generated deploy.wsdd file instead of the
skeleton class
2) skip generating the <port>SoapBindingSkeleton class
3) skip generating the <port>SoapBindingImpl class

That would make it far easier to fully automate deploying an existing Java
class as a web service, in my case using Ant.

Does this sound like a reasonable option to add?

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Daniels []
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 12:54 PM
To: ''
Subject: RE: repost of WSDL2Java question

Hi Mark, sorry for the delay in getting back to you!
The <port> class is the interface which the Locator implements.
It's true this may not be strictly necessary, since no one I know of uses it
yet.  It might come in handy later though for portable clients which dont
want to know what particular implementation they're using.... *shrug*
The Skeleton class is no longer generated by default, we now put the
metadata that it contained into the WSDD descriptor.  You can still get it
by specifying the --skeletonDeploy option for the tool, though.
The port type interface itself is pretty handy, esp since that's what you
get from the locator in most cases.  It's an implementation-independent
model of the actual web service methods.
The Impl isn't strictly necessary if you have your own class which
implements this stuff already, although you need to make sure that it's
compatible with what the Impl looks like.  Your solution #2 is totally
reasonable in that case, just point the className parameter of the WSDD
service to your class.
Hope this helps,