axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Blake" <timothy.bl...@oracle.com>
Subject JavaBeans and metadata
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:51:36 GMT
Hi,

Could somebody please give me a summary of the design decisions taken vis-a-vis storing metadata
inline with generated complexTypes?  I appreciate that this has already been the subject of
some discussion (and maybe even disagreement ;-)) and I'm genuinely trying to understand,
not just rock the boat...

- Why do you store metadata inline, as opposed to in separate files (or maybe this is possible
as well)?
- Why do you use "org.apache.axis.description.TypeDesc" for describing metadata on JavaBeans,
rather than the existing BeanInfo framework?  Is this intended to be more generic than BeanInfo,
since it can be used in other contexts?  How does this "proprietary" metadata layer affect
the use case where people want to publish existing JavaBeans without modifying them?

My real interest here is in solving the problem of mapping the XML schema comparators all
| sequence | choice into Java in the best possible non-AXIS-specific way.  This isn't so much
a question of "interoperability" as "uniformity" of solution.  If you've discussed this to
death previously then please point me to the relevant posts.  If not, what do y'all think?

Thanks,
Tim