axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: HTTPSender
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:14:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "CHEN,SHIH-CHANG (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" <>
To: <>
Cc: "Boyd, Garth" <>; <>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 12:38 PM
Subject: RE: HTTPSender

> Yes, we just discussed that. If this code is helpful for
> general cases, we would like to contribute that. However,
> the jsse stuff still need times to do... And a good news
> for http client is that jdk1.4 will fully implement
> RFC2616(http1.1). I attended a networking session of javaone.

yes, but will it be any good?

the reason for jakarta's httpclient is that it works, and works consistenly
across all java1.2+ platforms. misbehaves differently on java1.2 to
java1.3, with things like cookie handling, error handling, and on both it
sometimes does stupid things like downgrade the content length if the
response is shorter than it promises and the full response (headers and
bodies) comes in a single TCP packet or MTU size or less.

If we rely on java1.4 for clients to work, Axis won't work for a lot of
clients out there. But if we mandate httpclient then the client download is
bigger. Best would be some kind of facade.

and of course, if httpclient isnt complete, you can make changes...

View raw message