axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Russell Butek" <bu...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Changing JAX-RPC interfaces - philosophical question
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:53:04 GMT
I got 4 votes for #1 and none for #2.  So I'll forgo any deprecations for
now.  It certainly makes MY life easier!  (but be prepared to get a few
user complaints)

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Russell Butek/Austin/IBM@IBMUS on 03/27/2002 07:56:13 AM

To:    axis-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:    Changing JAX-RPC interfaces - philosophical question

There are some changes in the JAX-RPC spec that will affect users.  For
example, javax.xml.rpc.ParameterMode.PARAM_MODE_IN has changed to
javax.xml.rpc.ParameterMode.IN.  We can do one of two things here:

1.  Make the change and let users suffer (we ARE in beta, after all)
2.  Provide both and deprecate the old one for one release - through beta 2
- and get rid of it in the next - beta3.  This process isn't always
possible (for example:  old:  "public void method() throws X"; new:
"public int method() throws Y"), but I don't think the impossible
situations should exist at this point in the spec's life.

I would assume folks would prefer that I do #2, but I thought I'd ask.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com