axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <>
Subject RE: javax.xml.soap
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:05:57 GMT

I believe we need to complete the plumbing at least as much
as we need to be JAX-RPC compliant.

Anything else is just gravy, as I don't think Axis
claims that JAXM is something we (will ever?) fully support.

Tom Jordahl

-----Original Message-----
From: Glyn Normington []
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 11:01 AM
Subject: javax.xml.soap

Before the beta, I started plumbing the javax.xml.soap interfaces into the
Axis message classes such as javax.xml.soap.SOAPElement. I didn't get very
far - MessageElement now implements SOAPElement. The reason was in order
better to support a UDDI server based on Axis which needs to get involved
in deserialisation. The javax.xml.soap interfaces are likely to be more
stable than the corresponding concrete classes in Axis such as

Since then I've read a number of disparaging remarks about JAXM and wonder
if it is likely to fall into disuse.

The options appear to be:

1. Complete the plumbing.
2. Rip out the current plumbing and do without separate interfaces.
3. Rip out the current plumbing and define separate interfaces analogous to
the javax.xml.soap interfaces.

I don't like 2 if, as appears to be likely, it will be useful to expose the
classes/interface as published Axis externals.

3. would give us more freedom and might be the best option *if* JAXM is on
the way out.

View raw message