axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Bean Class/Bean Class Helper Generation
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:55:21 GMT

Will attempt to respond to the rest of this later, but this comment stands out:

>    The use of a alternate meta models reduces the risk of Axis being
>    married to a particular model or implementation.  I am not against
>    having default meta models, but the use of a particular
> model in the
>    runtime should not be forced.   This makes it easier to
> switch models
>    without affecting users.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  It seems to me like the engine wants a common model for metadata,
but it might want to GET that model from a variety of places (beaninfo, config file, embedded
into the class, etc).  I think abstracting out WHERE the model comes from is good, but abstracting
out the STRUCTURE of the model is unnecessary, and may cause huge headaches.  Can you describe
a real use-case for why you'd want this extra layer of complexity?

YAGNI...

--G