axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Weinger" <gwein...@itmedicine.net>
Subject Stress-testing the client
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:14:03 GMT
I have found a very peculiar behavior when heavily stressing the Axis
client library.

After around 950 consecutive calls, I start to get a
"java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect"    The strange
thing is that the service side is fine.  If I stop the client and run it
again, it performs normally.  If I run a new client *while the original
is still failing* the new one performs normally.  The problem therefore
seems tied to the running instance of the VM.  I get the same exact
behavior when I run Apache SOAP client code as well.  Here's the best
part: sometimes the problem fixes itself if I leave the client running
long enough.

What is going on here?  Has anyone seen anything like this?

On the client side I am using jdk1.3_02, and the most recent Axis code.
The server is using Apache SOAP.  My next step is to try another JDK
version.

Dump String: AxisFault
 faultCode: http://xml.apache.org/axis/:Server.userException
 faultString: java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect
 faultActor: null
 faultDetail:
        stackTrace: java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out:
connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:320)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:133)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:120)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
RetrieveDocsAx$XMLDocIndex.startElement(RetrieveDocsAx.java:170)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startElement(SAXParser.java:1376)

        at
org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callStartElement(XML
Validator.java:1284)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(XMLDocumen
tScanner.java:1806)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.disp
atch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1182)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentS
canner.java:381)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)
        at RetrieveDocsAx.retrieveDocuments(RetrieveDocsAx.java:77)
        at RetrieveDocsAx.main(RetrieveDocsAx.java:256)

Thanks,

Gregory Weinger
UCLA Telemedicine