axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Axis interop problems (Sam Please Read)
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:13:48 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> P.S.  I also didn't get a chance last night to rerun using the codebase
> from earlier in this month.  I'll take care of that now.

OK, I reran the interop tests back to back.  You can find tests with the
code base (wsdl4j + axis) as of 1 Jan here:

   http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop-Jan1CodeBase.html

It is instructive to compare it to the current results (just rerun, and
will be overlaid nightly) here:

   http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop.html

The most obvious issue is that the encoding of arrays has changed.
Previously, the decision was made to treat arrays of primitives as
primitives.  This actually gets into a deep discussion - what is multi-ref
for?  I do have a length answer that I can share, but a reasonable summary
of my feelings of the subject is quite simple: to deal with the possibility
cyclic structures.  Arrays of primitives can't participate directly in an
actual loop, so my preference is to treat them as primitive objects.  In
rare cases, this may mean more data gets transferred.  In most cases, it
will mean that less CPU will be consumed in the process.  And interop will
be successful with more endpoints.

- Sam Ruby