axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Rick Rineholt" <rineh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Axis and attachments (non-RPC)
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:06:06 GMT
>I was looking at the Axis for non-RPC messaging, and noticed that there
>isn't much there. (not even in TODO comments that I saw).
>What is the planned future?
>1) No clean way to set Content-Id of attachments.
>You have to extract all of the attachments from the Attachments class,
>change headers manually, then re add them to the Attachments.
>1b) If you update Content-Id of the Attachment, it will not be saved
unless
>you re-add it to attachments.
1a+ b)  Content-Id is generated for you.  There should be no significance
given to the
content-id value itself.  Can you please give a usage scenario where this
would be necessary?
>1c) *BUG* Mime allows for duplicate headers, but they get eaten by HashMap
>here.
Ok. But may I ask what you are doing with headers from a SOAP/ Web Service
type
application that depends on this?  Mind you I'm not saying that this is
correct but I'm wondering
what the usage pattern is that would use this so I can assess how high of a
priority it would be to fix.
>2) There is no way to add an attachment to the list if you already have
one.
>>From another message lets say.
>Example:
>Attachments atts=msg.getAttachments();
>DataHandler dh=new DataHandler(new
>FileDataSource("data.dat"));
>AttachmentPart
>part=(AttachmentPart)atts.createAttachmentPart(dh);
>part.addMimeHeader(HTTPConstants.HEADER_CONTENT_ID ,
>"myAttachmentId");
>ArrayList parts=new ArrayList(2);
>parts.add(part);
>atts.setAttachmentParts(parts);
>2b) Needs add(AttachmentPart), getAttachmentByContentId(), getIterator() -
>Would be nice if remove() and add() would function on iterator.
Let me consider the impact of this some more.
>3) Reading contents of the AttachementPart is awkward.
>getActiviationDataHandler() method is not public, but is on package level.
>Is it a typo or as intended?
>AttachmentUtils has     public static DataHandler
>getActiviationDataHandler(Part part)   method, but its kind of odd way of
>doing it.
As one of the requirements the core of Axis can be compiled without
attachment
support.  This is one of reasons for some of the "round about" manner of
things.
>4) There is nice BoundaryDelimitedStream to read the attachments, but you
>still rely on scary javax.mail code to create outgoing messages. Are there
>any plans to change that?
No.  This code has been used and tested.
http://xml.apache.org/source.html.
>-Taras

Rick Rineholt
"The truth is out there...  All you need is a better search engine!"

rineholt@us.ibm.com