axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: new 4s4c interop results
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:28:55 GMT
Simon Fell wrote:

> Sam, do you have wire dumps for these two i can take a look at ?

http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop.html#1-axis

Hint: push page down.  ;-)

Note: since you seem to have installed Axis yourself, you have everything
you need to reproduce this test.  Look in the java/samples/echo directory.

> There seems to be a split in the web services folks, those that
> embrace the programming language integration, and believe in type
> promotions / conversions, and those that think the WSDL contract is
> the last word, and can't be deviated from at all. In this particular
> case I'm fine with it being considered a failure, as i do want to have
> it return a hexBinary response. There are a bunch of similar cases,
> like xsd:base64Binary vs soap-enc:base64, that aren't as clear cut.

And I'm quite willing to stradle the fence on this issue.  As a general
rule, my belief is that we should be strictly conforming in what we send,
and liberal in what we accept.  So marking this as a failure is "correct".
But accepting the response (given that the intent is unabiguous in this
case) is _better_.

- Sam Ruby