axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "R J Scheuerle Jr" <sc...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re : Lightweight Skeletons
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:55:42 GMT
The getParameterNames(...) method is used by the AXIS runtime so that it
can get the names of the output parameters to pass back.  This
functionality used to be embedded in the skeleton methods.

You are pointing out that the getParameterNames(...) method could also be
used by Java2WSDL to get the parameter names for the wsdl file.
You are correct, but I have not added this code yet.

Rich Scheuerle
XML & Web Services Development
512-838-5115  (IBM TL 678-5115)

                      Cédric Chabanois

                      <CChabanois@cogni        To:       axis-dev@xml.apache.org

                      case.fr>                 cc:

                                               Subject:  Re : Lightweight Skeletons

                      01/14/2002 09:36

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      axis-dev

I think this is good news but I don't know if I have well understood the
consequences.

Say I have a web service (2 classes : the interface and the impl)

1) If I compile it with -g, parameter names are available so the skeleton
is
not necessary. Am I right ?
The ?wsdl will have correct parameters (not in0, inout0 ...)

2) If I don't compile it with -g, parameter names are not available.
Skeleton can be useful in this case because I can implement
getParameterName
and init functions that will tell the parameter names.

Personnaly, I have made a skeleton (and added it in the wsdd file) but I
still don't have correct parameter names in the generated wsdl (?wsdl).

Why ?

Cédric

>Changed WSDL2Java and the runtime (RPCProvider, JavaUtils.convert) to use
"lightweight" skeletons.
>The skeletons now have the same method signatures as the impl, stub, and
portType.
>The skeletons delegate directly to the impl, the runtime automatically
builds the proper Holder objects as necessary.
>The only purpose for the skeletons is to provide a new method
getParameterName(opName, i) which is used by RPCProvider to associate names
with the output values.
>So if this is not necessary for your service, no skeleton is needed. This
is a big step towards the complete removal of skeletons.
>For example, if the server has wsdl or other meta data, the runtime
*could*
automatically use the meta data to get the element names for the output
values.
>For the time being, these new lightweight skeletons will be used.
>I also added a -S <true_or_false> option to WSDL2Java to indicate whether
to deploy the skeleton (true) or the impl (false). >The default is
currently
true. Enjoy, Rich Scheuerle XML & Web Services Development 512-838-5115
(IBM
TL 678-5115)