axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/test/wsdl/types ComprehensiveTypes. wsdl
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:29:43 GMT
> >Glen commited/wrote:
> >> We also need to decide if we like this approach.  As it
> stands, we can't
> >> use WSDD to deploy into a non-WSDD EngineConfiguration.
> The other...
> >I would suggest that you *not* merge in these changes until
> >this is resolved.  One of the main reasons for doing this was
> >to remove WSDD from the "core" and it seems like we're not
> >there yet.
>
> The current branch enables someone to replace the whole configuration
> subsystem with a subsystem that knows nothing about WSDD. The
> configuration
> subsystem now sits 'behind' the WSDD-neutral
> EngineConfiguration interface.
> Therefore the objective of the branch -- to separate WSDD into the
> configuration subsystem -- *has* been achieved.

+1.  I'm not quite sure where Doug's original concern came from here.  Doug, are you proposing
that we don't use WSDD for the AdminService either?

The next paragraph (the one about dealing with multiple rounds of big changes) I can certainly
understand, but I think this stuff has acheived its objective, and I think branching was a
good way to do it (it allowed Glyn and I to work together and share ideas without needing
to zip up and merge our sources manually).

> Glen's observation above was about the capabilities of the
> configuration
> subsystem, rather than of Axis as a whole.What Glen is referring to is
> really "icing on the cake" which can be added in due course,
> but which was
> not the objective of the branch.

Right - WSDD has been isolated, my comment was that perhaps it's TOO isolated and we should
think about having a "core" concept of handler "descriptors" which can be serialized to/from
whatever external format is required.

--Glen