axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sedukhin, Igor" <Igor.Seduk...@ca.com>
Subject RE: Today's IRC log (about security)
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:39:45 GMT
James,

Things like wsdl compilers, authentication handlers, etc. are already part of Axis. If it
was just for pure SOAP messaging, then only a very small subset of Axis is needed. It appears
that Axis is becoming a good open-source Web Services framework, which probably could not
ignore security implications.

Leaving security out of scope, wouldn't it diminish the value of work that has already been
done on the Axis?

Xml-security does not have to become part of Axis, but it may make sense to drop in few classes
to *extend* Axis and facilitate security header assembly/interrogation.

The client side bugs me more than the server side really. If I wanted to use Axis to make
a secure service invocation, and have to assemble whole msg in DOM... I doubt it would be
acceptable, and in that case it would be better to opt for GLUE or something...

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: James M Snell [mailto:jasnell@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 7:34 PM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Today's IRC log (about security)

Comments inline...

These comments represent my personal opinion

- James M Snell/Fresno/IBM
    Web services architecture and strategy
    Internet Emerging Technologies, IBM
    544.9035 TIE line
    559.587.1233 Office
    919.486.0077 Voice Mail
Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified,

do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you
go.
- Joshua 1:9