axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glyn Normington" <glyn_norming...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Life after service response?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:38:22 GMT
I've been trying to understand the abstractions surrounding handlers and
the engine and cannot understand the basis for introducing undo(). I was
pleased to find that Sanjiva wrote:

>I'd like to see undo() taken out totally. The semantics of
>undo() in the context of chains of handlers is pretty flaky.

I think Axis should avoid getting into 'compensation management' which
starts to appear in embrionic form in
org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting.

For example I suspect Axis does not want to get into 'recovery', but the
requirement for compensation after a system crash could easily arise from
handlers which deal with persistent state and which depend on undo to
perform properly.

I'll happily strip out undo if no-one else wants to.

Glyn