axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Crisping up the interface (was: Undo and chains)
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:14:09 GMT

Editorial comment: the patch recently applied did not affect any test cases
or any documentation.  As a practical matter, this means that any
functionality that was affected by this change was both undocumented and
quite probably didn't work.

Whether or not we decide as a group to take a minimalist perspective
(a.k.a. YAGNI), my recommendation is that we observe as a minimum threshold
requirement to justify the existence (or retention) of any feature.  That
threshold can be rather low, say, the existence of any documentation or
test case that is affected.  But beyond that threshold, people should feel
free to make changes that make the code cleaner or simpler.

I look forward to a new year in which documentation or test cases
(preferably both) becomes available describing how people who desire to
write stateful handlers can do so.  Beyond this, it remains my preference
that stateful handlers not be the presumed default, for both performance
and usability reasons.

- Sam Ruby