axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: org.apache.axis.client.Service constructor throws JAXRPCException?
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:40:40 GMT
Russell Butek wrote:

> Now that I'm finally getting around to making the generated service class
> extend org.apache.axis.client.Service I have a question.  Why does
> Service's default constructor throw JAXRPCException?
>
> Service() calls getAxisClient which throws JAXRPCException.
> getAxisClient() calls new AxisClient(ConfigurationProvider) which does not
> throw any exceptions.
>
> So neither the constructor nor getAxisClient needs to throw
> JAXRPCException.  I would like to remove the throws clause from these 2
> methods, but I want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's needs.

My guess is that there are no _current_ needs, and is safe to remove them.

Do keep in mind that while it is backwards compatible to remove Exceptions,

it is _not_ backwards compatible to declare *new* Exception types later.

The question is, would this type of issue be better served by a RuntimeException?
They are not required to be declared--but if they are declared, they must be
caught.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin