axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@watson.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Architecture Improvement] Handler lifecycle events and undo()
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:13:11 GMT
Berin Loritsch writes:
> So here are some LAWS of development life:
>
> "You will never have all the requirements stated up front."
> "Requirements will never remain static over the life of a project."
> "Somebody, Somewhere will need the 'feature' you are trying to remove."
>
> Keep this in mind.
>
> Also, why spend too much mental sinapses on deciding whether it is
fundamentally
> wrong for a Handler to have an init() function when there is a framework
that
> makes it easier to make that optional--so you can have it when you need
it.

> BTW, it is not fundamentally wrong, you just haven't run accross a
requirement
> for it yet.

I come from the design school which says only design for the problem
you have in hand; not for the one that some user may have in their
hands at some point in their life. I also believe strongly in
iteration and throwing away stuff and doing it again.

Clearly all architectures are iterative. Neither your approach nor
mine will give the "right" architecture right away; mine starts small
and yours start big. Well, as they say, there's more than one way
to skin a cat, eh?

Sanjiva.