axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: AXIS System Integration Guide - with internationalization
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 17:41:59 GMT

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Russell Butek wrote:

> 1.  Meaning.  Keys of the form: AXIS00001, AXIS00002, have no meaning and
> are merely placeholders.  You cannot read the code and get a reasonable
> idea of what the message is.  Folks can be a little descriptive with
> free-form keys:
> noOperation=No operation name specified.

>            - you must assign a key ( A-Za-z0-9 )

I really meant assiging keys as

		noSuchOperation01
or
	org.apache.someClass.name.noSuchOperation01

(as I suspect that people will draw on pools with common translated
strings; i.e. some common shared pool across projects).

The '01' is there because (as you say):

> What do you mean by "reuse"?  Do you mean you should not have an entry
> abc=xyz
> and then later change that to be
> abc=vwx?
> If that's what you mean, I'd restate it:  "- you must not change entries.
> If code changes force a message change, add a new entry, don't change the
> message in an existing entry."

Aye - we 100% agree. It is just that I am very pessimistic; and expect
that people will do the above edit by accident. And wanted to suggest an
obvious way to the programmer to avoid it which would require less
polution. I've seen this rule go wrong so often on i18n projects I've
worked on.

Dw