axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: Status update: Axis w/Xerces2
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:16:46 GMT
Hi Dims,

If you do a checkout of Xerces2, I think you'll find that patch is
applied--at least that's how AttributesImpl looks on my machine.  So I
guess the problem lies elsewhere.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Davanum Srinivas <dims@yahoo.com> on 11/19/2001 04:02:08 PM

Please respond to xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org

To:   axis-dev@xml.apache.org, xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: Status update: Axis w/Xerces2

Sam,

I think AttributesImpl.java in Xerces2 needs the following patch:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-xerces/java/src/org/xml/sax/helpers/AttributesImpl.java.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.5

Thanks,
dims

--- Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Doing performance measurements w/Xerces1, we are finding that
approximately
> 40% of the time is being spent in the parser.  Clearly this represents a
> fertile  opportunity for improvment.  Measuring the same workloads with
> Crimson resulted in a slight degradation.
>
> I would like to measure Xerces2 and explore both XNI and constructing a
> minimal pipeline which eliminates any unnecessary overhead (e.g., DTD
> validation), but I am still unable to progress past the following
problems
> exposed by the unit tests.  Debugging, it looks like the Axis code which
> causes the problem down stream is as follows:
>
>        public int startElement(String p1, String p2, String p3,
org.xml.sax.Attributes p4) {
>            if (numattrs == attrs.length) {
>                Object[] nattrs = new Object[numattrs * 2];
>                System.arraycopy(attrs, 0, nattrs, 0, numattrs);
>                attrs = nattrs;
>            }
>
>            attrs[numattrs++] = new AttributesImpl(p4);
>            return events.add(STATE_START_ELEMENT, st.addSymbol(p1),
st.addSymbol(p2),
> st.addSymbol(p3), numattrs-1);
>        }
>
> Later attempts to reference the copied attributes results in:
>
>      java.lang.NullPointerException
>      at org.xml.sax.helpers.AttributesImpl.getValue(Unknown Source)
>      at

org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.getTypeFromAttributes(DeserializationContext.java:301)

>      at
org.apache.axis.message.RPCHandler.onStartChild(RPCHandler.java:160)
>      at

org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.startElement(DeserializationContext.java:606)

>      at
org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.java:200)

>      at
org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement.publishToHandler(MessageElement.java:387)

>      at
org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.deserialize(RPCElement.java:115)
>      at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.getParam(RPCElement.java:124)
>      at test.encoding.TestSer.doTestData(TestSer.java:87)
>      at test.encoding.TestSer.testDataWithHrefs(TestSer.java:44)
>      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>      at junit.framework.TestCase.runTest(TestCase.java:157)
>      at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:131)
>      at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:106)
>      at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:124)
>      at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:109)
>      at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:122)
>      at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:173)
>      at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:168)
>      at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:173)
>      at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:168)
>      at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:241)

>      at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.main(JUnitTestRunner.java:419)

=====