axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Serializing faults, unmatched <init>s, and offline testing...
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:43:40 GMT
Serializing faults used to work.  Given the amount of change in this area
recently, I gather that they stopped working at some point.  This points to
a failing in our test coverage, in which we can all share the blame (myself
included).

I saw in IRC yesterday that somebody was having a problem with invalid XML
being produced - unmatched <init> tags.  This typically is caused by stack
tracebacks being present in a fault with at least one method in the list
being a constructor.  The fix for this is to call XMLUtils.xmlEncodeString
().  Again, this used to be done properly.

The design of the tests which support getQuote("IBM") rely on faults being
correctly serialized in order to support offline testing.  Of course having
a functional test fail only says that *something* is wrong, leaving a
significant debug task.  For this reason, having focused unit tests are
preferred.

- Sam Ruby