axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: New name for combined SOAP implementation project
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:38:09 GMT
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> To start the process I propose the name "ceylon" .. it comes from
> a random chat that Dims and I had during some of the preparation
> for this note! Let's spend a few days coming up with candidate
> names and then narrow down a list and call a vote.

What concerns me about that name is it is a wee bit too close to Xylon... a
trademark of the company who makes eSOAP.  Unless somebody wants to track
down whether the holder of that trademark has any issues, I suggest we pick
a less infringing name.

Like DAISY, perhaps?

A bit of history for those who weren't here at the time... once upon a
time, the developers of SOAP V2 and what was then SOAP V3 and even those
who later developed what eventually became WASP decided we needed a new
name.  A vote was taken and Axis was the first choice at the time, with
Daisy coming in second.

If we are to rename this project once again, lets make sure that we get it
right this time, so that there are no more calls in the future for a
renaming, OK everyone?

- Sam Ruby