axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Elena Litani <elit...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Status update: Axis w/Xerces2
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:12:36 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> For the record, if it were the case that I had to check for both
> null and
> "", I would be glad to accomodate.
> What I don't want to have to do is to check for
> java.lang.NullPointerException when making calls to
> Attributes.getValue()...

I've applied the fix to AbstractSAXParser in CVS. Attributes.getURI()
will now return "" (instead of null) so you should not get NPE for
Attributes.getValue(). I've tested the fix with the test case Dims
provided.
Sam, let me know if the fix works for you.

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> - Are we going to force "EVERYONE" to fix their code?

The fix is transparent for the Xerces users.

> - Will this make it difficult for people to migrate to Xerces2?

No. The fix does not affect user code (at least for now..)

> - Should the AttributesImpl.java in SAX be fixed to check for
> Nulls?

In my opinion, yes. The SAX description should be changed and
AttributesImpl should check for null.

> - Should all external code in Xerces2 like DOM/SAX etc
> be reviewed for this case?

DOM allows URI to be represented as "" or null. In Xerces implementation
we expose null URIs (never "").

--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto