axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Logging request
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:07:50 GMT
Mark Roder wrote:

> Do you have insight on how to best deal with variable sized data and
> thresholds?   Example:  In the transport layer, it would be nice to see data
> to and from the server for each call.  This is no longer a good idea if you
> are working with "large" packets(MBs of data).
>
> This is where another categoy makes sense to me.  The standard category has
> debug info of "got a packet of size:" type logs and the other category can
> then be turned on/off to actually dump the payload.

hi,

if you consider tracing data sent on the wire to be orthogonal to tracing method
invocations
then you could enrich package/class hierarchy to mirror this assumption.-  for
example
when selecting logging output there could be two groups:

"org.apache.axis.*" --> log all org.apache.axis classes and any subpackage
"ON_THE_WIRE.org.apache.axis.*" --> turn all tracing for on the wire packets
sent/received

just my 2c,

alek