axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Jellinghaus <r...@unrealities.com>
Subject Re: building requires network connection
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:57:25 GMT
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Functional tests MUST NOT BREAK if a remote host is not available.

Functional tests MUST EXPLICITLY TEST FOR UNREACHABLE HOSTS, and if the host is unreachable,
the functional test must return *success* (not failure).

Otherwise, it becomes nigh impossible to tell whether a broken test is due to broken Axis
code, or due to a net connectivity failure.

Functional tests should *only* break if Axis itself is broken.

This specific test should check for UnknownHostException, and if found, should print "Could
not reach www.xmethods.net, skipping test" and return success WITHOUT simply throwing UnknownHostException
all the way to junit.

Sam agrees with me, I know.  I hope everyone will.  We went over this and over this back in
the stock test days.  I hope we don't regress.

Cheers,
Rob