axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: log4j should be pluggable
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:00:22 GMT
Russell Butek wrote:

> Nothing against log4j (well, not much), but the AXIS logging mechanism
> should be pluggable.

This discussion must have taken place just before you joined.  In essence,
the reasoning was:

   (1) We need a pluggable logging facility.  That much is agreed.

   (2) Log4j already has a pluggable ability to add in your own
   "appenders".  Designed.  Tested.  Documented.  Supported.  People (like
   MacroMedia) have used this successfully to direct output to their own
   logging facility.

   (3) If we were to write our own wrapper for logging, would it be better
   designed, tested, documented, or supported than the facility already in
   log4j?

- Sam Ruby