axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Doug Davis" <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: General question about huge attachments
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:45:12 GMT
Yes, let's please support http chunking.
-Dug

Rob Jellinghaus <robj@unrealities.com> on 10/25/2001 08:39:46 PM

To:   axis-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  General question about huge attachments

So I've heard from many people that there is a lot of interest in being
able to send really large attachments via SOAP (and via Axis in
particular).

My research indicates that Apache SOAP 2.2, at least, requires that there
be a Content-Length header in every HTTP POST.
Here's the fault you get without it:

Generated fault:
  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Protocol
  Fault String = Content length must be specified.

However, my reading of page 119 of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
indicates that Content-Length is not mandatory... it's a SHOULD, not a
MUST.  (Interestingly, Apache SOAP 2.2 can deal just fine with missing
Content-Length headers in the MIME body parts themselves!)

Content-Length, of course, is the bane of streaming (calculating the length
of a huge encoded stream, before sending it, is a pain).

My question to you all is, is it a bug that Apache SOAP *requires* a
Content-Length even for HTTP POSTs that contain MIME messages?

My second question is, would it be desirable for Axis to *not* require
Content-Length for HTTP POSTs that contain MIME messages?

I think the best possible outcome here would be an Axis that, when sending
and receiving MIME messages (particularly with huge attachments), did no
Content-Length calculations at all, instead just streaming directly from
(say) files to the network.  I think this is even achievable, especially if
Content-Length can be omitted.  (If Content-Length is not omittable in
general, we could still put in hacks to try to calculate it up front, but
it becomes much uglier.)  +1?  -1?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Cheers,
Rob