axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "James M Snell" <jasn...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Message API change -- preview
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:58:32 GMT
I was just being dramatic to get your attention :-) .... When (if) it gets
committed, it will be cooked in.  I do not plan to commit anything unless
there is agreement with this approach.  It is quite a significant change.
Figured if I threatened a commit y'all would perk up and actually take a
look at it.  Well... it's not an empty threat... post 1.0 release, I plan
to start making the rollover unless I hear some good gripes as to why I
shouldn't.

I'm waiting until post release 1 because it's a big change to the API that
would affect every piece of code that deals with Messages.  It's a big
change.  The Message Context would need to change, everything in the
encoding, and message packages would change (including all of the
de/serializers), all of the handlers would change (since the Message API
itself would be different), and the servlet would need to change (to use
the new Message factory classes).  I don't feel like trying to rush to get
those changes done before a release one drop. Message protocol
pluggability isn't important enough of a requirement to force a delay on
release 1 which is what it would end up being.

- James M Snell/Fresno/IBM
    Web services architecture and strategy
    Internet Emerging Technologies, IBM
    544.9035 TIE line
    559.587.1233 Office
    919.486.0077 Voice Mail
    jasnell@us.ibm.com
Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified,

do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you
go.
- Joshua 1:9