axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Issue - build.xml considers servlet.present as optional
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:37:28 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

> Or we could make the build process just not compile any servlet stuff if
it
> doesn't find the servlet jar.

+1

The current build logic states:

      <exclude name="org/apache/axis/handlers/HTTP*" unless
="servlet.present"/>
      <exclude name="org/apache/axis/transport/http/*" unless
="servlet.present"/>

IMHO this excludes too much (like SimpleAxisServer).  It also apparently
excludes too little (if there are compilation errors if servlet jar is not
present).

In my mind, Axis has always been intended to be an embeddable engine.
There may be scenarios where you have you have your own means of transport,
independent of the servletapi.

- Sam Ruby