axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Russell Butek" <bu...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: log4j should be pluggable
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:29:23 GMT
I was under the impression that log4j wasn't pluggable, but I don't know
the details of log4j.  That's certainly something to look into.  Thanks.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS on 10/02/2001 08:00:22 AM

To:   axis-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: log4j should be pluggable

Russell Butek wrote:

> Nothing against log4j (well, not much), but the AXIS logging mechanism
> should be pluggable.

This discussion must have taken place just before you joined.  In essence,
the reasoning was:

   (1) We need a pluggable logging facility.  That much is agreed.

   (2) Log4j already has a pluggable ability to add in your own
   "appenders".  Designed.  Tested.  Documented.  Supported.  People (like
   MacroMedia) have used this successfully to direct output to their own
   logging facility.

   (3) If we were to write our own wrapper for logging, would it be better
   designed, tested, documented, or supported than the facility already in
   log4j?

- Sam Ruby