axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sedukhin, Igor" <Igor.Seduk...@ca.com>
Subject RE: What are you working on?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 23:32:45 GMT
I was wondering how far soap:body literal support is planned.

I have tried some simple examples (one of which is attached) and it looks like apart from
apparent modification of WSDL Emitter, changes are needed in the message processing/data marshalling
as well.

Unlike SEOM, pure SOAP messages may not include type information directly in the part body.
And it makes sense, since type information is already known by each side of the communication
(thanks to WSDL). It also allows separation of call parameters and parts that may contain
some binary attachments or whatever else.

At this point WSDL Emitter seems to have problems with multiple occurrences of elements (like
for instance arrays of objects) and also rendition of the parameters part (which becomes org.w3c.dom.ElementHolder,
whereas exact type is known).

Also, if I deploy the service that was generated, and then request WSDL via http://.../testsvc?wsdl,
I would get WSDL with use="encoded", not literal, which sort of defies the original goal to
implement a service according to WSDL.

I understand that it could be rather religious issue, but has anyone gave it a thought?

I was thinking that Serializers/Desearializers have to know about the service they do the
work for (SerializationContext::getServiceDescription() does not really help). That way it
would be possible to base on WSDL directly to implement type mappings. It is a very generic
approach instead of explicitly defining bean mappings in the deployment descriptor.

It would also make sense to add an option to the service deployment descriptor for the generateWSDL
to make rpc/encoded or document/literal style definitions.

So, would anyone consider this a valuable feature for Axis?

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com)