axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: What are you working on?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 21:39:41 GMT

Hi Igor,

I have been giving the soap:body literal support much thought.
I have been working on the emitter to start moving it toward
supporting an RPC-like semantic for document style services.

The rationale for doing this is we would like Wsdl2java to support
using .NET services, which by default generate WSDL using literal.

One of the big problems with doing this is we need to drill down
in to the XML types and understand them better than we do now, then
generate stub function signatures which reflect the actual types.

Another thing that is missing is the stubs do not use an Axis
ServiceDescriptor to describe to Axis the types of the input and
output parameters.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia

-----Original Message-----
From: Sedukhin, Igor [mailto:Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 7:33 PM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: What are you working on?

I was wondering how far soap:body literal support is planned.

I have tried some simple examples (one of which is attached) and it looks
like apart from apparent modification of WSDL Emitter, changes are needed in
the message processing/data marshalling as well.

Unlike SEOM, pure SOAP messages may not include type information directly in
the part body. And it makes sense, since type information is already known
by each side of the communication (thanks to WSDL). It also allows
separation of call parameters and parts that may contain some binary
attachments or whatever else.

At this point WSDL Emitter seems to have problems with multiple occurrences
of elements (like for instance arrays of objects) and also rendition of the
parameters part (which becomes org.w3c.dom.ElementHolder, whereas exact type
is known).

Also, if I deploy the service that was generated, and then request WSDL via
http://.../testsvc?wsdl, I would get WSDL with use="encoded", not literal,
which sort of defies the original goal to implement a service according to
WSDL.

I understand that it could be rather religious issue, but has anyone gave it
a thought?

I was thinking that Serializers/Desearializers have to know about the
service they do the work for (SerializationContext::getServiceDescription()
does not really help). That way it would be possible to base on WSDL
directly to implement type mappings. It is a very generic approach instead
of explicitly defining bean mappings in the deployment descriptor.

It would also make sense to add an option to the service deployment
descriptor for the generateWSDL to make rpc/encoded or document/literal
style definitions.

So, would anyone consider this a valuable feature for Axis?

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com)