axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glen Daniels" <>
Subject Re: How do you know you've got attachments?
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:31:00 GMT
Hi Rob:

> Yes, but again, if we buffer the root part first, then we can let the
>presence or absence of DataHandlers tell us what to do.  Heck, maybe we
>both... and remember, what about the server side, where a service may just
>return a Java object without ever directly accessing the Message itself???
>(You (and Doug) seem not to consider that case when discussing this issue
>this thread.)

The point I was trying to make is that it's always better to know up front
if attachments will be necessary, and that we can pretty easily make it so
you always do know up front.  My initial reaction to your server side point
is that if you might want to send attachments in returned object, you should
either a) use a service method with a MessageContext argument, or b) deploy
your service with an "enableAttachments=true" option.

I'd rather not have to buffer the entire envelope in cases where we don't
need to, and so IMHO you should have to do something (either explicit API
calls or setting deployment info) to get the engine to behave that way.

> >> The first code I check in will probably support attachments on the
> >message,
> >>but will not support automatically resolved href's in the message
> >>That'll come later.
> >
> >In other words you'll support writing attachments, but not deserializing
> >hrefs which refer to them as DataHandlers?
> Yes, but only as an interim checkin... it certainly won't be complete (or
>shippable for Axis 1.0) until the serialization is working.

If you get the framework and the first part checked in, I betcha someone
else might be willing to whip off the deserialization part.

View raw message