axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "James M Snell" <jasn...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Protocol pluggability
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:25:53 GMT
Another topic:

>From the Axis requirements:

<snip>

Pluggable XML protocol support
100
SOAP 1.1

done

101
SOAP 1.2

Partial - doesn't yet do envelope versioning or namespaces

?
?
102
Must not name general classes as SOAPWhateverDoer

done

103
Simultaneous support for multiple message protocols

NYI

</snip>

As it stands now, Axis's XML protocol support is is *NOT* pluggable.  Nor
can we easily plug in new protocols without a significant retooling.  Item
102 says "done" but there are many instances throughout the Axis code
where SOAP specific classes are prereq'd.  And with the current object
model, item 103 is impossible without significant reorganization of the
code.

My question is this:  are we going to keep the requirement of pluggable
XML protocol support or are we going to make Axis a SOAP only
implementation?

- James Snell
     Software Engineer, Internet Emerging Technologies, IBM
     James M Snell/Fresno/IBM - jasnell@us.ibm.com
These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace.
In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the
world.
- John 16:33