axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <>
Subject Re: Axis hierarchy
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:00:13 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>I am wrapping my head around Axis to try to figure out
>how to best provide hooks for Avalon/Cocoon.  To my best
>surmizings, I would provide the following:
>CocoonHandler  (to intercept requests that Cocoon would
>                process)
>ServiceHandler (to intercept requests that Avalon Phoenix
>                would process)
>CocoonProvider (to process the requests in the Cocoon
>                environment)
>ServiceProvider (to process the requests in the Avalon
>                 Phoenix environment)

Providers are Handlers, so I'm not clear why you need both.  Depending on
how you wish to integrate this with cocoon and/or phoenix, you might want
to provide a replacement for the AxisServlet.

Can you sketch out a flow of what you are envisioning?  How, for example,
would cocoon's sitemap be involved in the processing?

> Next, I want to remove your dependence on DOM.

Key difference between Apache Axis and Apache SOAP is the elimination of
DOM in the mainline processing.  Note: eliminating a dependence on DOM is
different than eliminating support for DOM.  If somebody wants to write a
hander and is willing to live with the severe performance degradation that
DOM adds, then hand them the gun and the bullets and show them how to point
it at their toes.

> It would remove the necessity of many of the methods in the Admin class.

Much of the Admin class is scheduled to be replaced with WSDD.  Note: that,
too, is currently implemented with DOM.

- Sam Ruby

View raw message