axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Have you guys looked at Avalon?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 21:11:19 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> As far as full Avalon integration, I will wait until we have more input
from
> others on the list.

Don't wait too long...  others may not comment until they start to see the
code.  ;-)

> I would like to provide a couple hooks to allow Axis to
> be embedded in Phoenix and used from Cocoon.

+1

> Giacomo sent me a tool that he
> would like to be opened up that can assist with more complex schema to
object
> mappings.  Basically, it provides a (un)marshalling service for objects
that
> it creates.  It creates the business objects from an existing Schema.
The
> tool is based on Avalon, and is pretty decent.  It might be of use in
this
> project.

As I said, we have somebody looking into this too.  If there is some way
that we can collaborate, so much the better.

> This does not interfere with how WebSphere/JRun handle their own
configuration
> schemes.  It is internal to how Axis would do it (if Avalon is adopted).

We may have differnent ideas about what "does not interfere with" means.
WebSphere will likely want the configuration data expressed in XMI (see
http://www.omg.org/technology/xml/), and integrated with the WebSphere
Admin GUI.

Having classes implement
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.Configurable should not interfere
with this.  Specifying a DTD or proscribing a mechanism by which such data
is loaded would.

- Sam Ruby