axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Deserialization without recording events?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:28:52 GMT
Deane Sloan wrote:

> Are there any proof-of-concepts/workings that illustrate deserializing
> direct via SAX (first-time around in the DeserializationContext parse),
> rather than using the even recorder to replay the events at a later
> point?We're having trouble with peak memory usage on large responses
> (under Apache SOAP 2.2) and are investigating the streaming/SAX event
> driven deserialization Axis introduces.The framework Axis provides is
> well thought out, and we've evidenced modest improvements with memory
> usage (compared with Apache SOAP 2.x) - but there is still a sizeable
> overhead (seemingly up to 4 or 5 times the actual memory required for
> the object being deserialized) with the event recording. We do not use
> any features that would seem to necessitate the event recording (such as
> out params or multi-ref).If anyone could provide pointers to how I
> should go about this, it'd be much appreciated.

What you are seeing is "temporary" behavior.  Immediately prior to the
first alpha, it was noticed that we were unable to produce a DOM tree on
demand, so an overly conservative approach was taken.  Before this change
was made, Axis's only recorded in relatively few cases and performance was
considerably better than it is today, and shortly I plan to get back to
doing a decent performance analysis and get this back into shape.

I'm on the road this week, so it won't be until next week that I can get
meaningfully get started again on this activity.

- Sam Ruby