axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Have you guys looked at Avalon?
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:45:30 GMT
Tom Jordahl wrote:

> FYI
> I looked at this code (because I was writing the command line stuff in
> wsdl2java) and it is very GNU-like in its option syntax:
>  -v
>  --verbose
> instead of what we currently have:
>   -v[erbose]
>
> I am not really in favor of this "two-dash" approach to options, I prefer
> (obviously) an "as-much-as needed-to-be-unique" style.  If there is strong
> sentiment from the group that we want "two-dash" style options, I would be
> -1 on it but would still do the work. :-)

It is a standard that many people who are used to CLIs are used to.  There
is good reasoning for the short/long alias approach.  Whether you like the
approach or not, the CLI parsing code does make it easier to process the
options.

> I am adding a -package switch today, which is an option that takes an
> argument so I maybe I will convince myself I want to switch to Avalon. :-)

Besides, if there is a feature you would like implemented, you usually only
have to ask....

The only CLI packages I have used that don't employ the short/long approach
(AKA gnu conventions) are the Java CLI utilities.  Honestly, I would be
-1 on that style.  Then again, I come from a GNU/Linux background so I may
be somewhat biased.