axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Dulin <dul...@acm.org>
Subject Re: FW: Writing Cobol provider class in SOAP
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:29:57 GMT
I've written SOAP providers for proprietory systems.

In particular, I am currently interfacing with a CICS system.

One way or another you need to come up with some sort of an interface
between your CICS system and your SOAP provider written in Java. There
are various ways of doing it (CORBA, sockets, etc.) Once that is done,
writing a provider is not difficult. I've done it with Apache SOAP and a
sockets-based API to a CICS system.

You will, however, need to come up with methods for your COBOL
applications. If I remember correctly from my intern days at IBM Global
Services, you should be able to come up with the name of a JCL job and
arguments that it takes. The provider may then use a properties or XML
file to catalogue methods and arguments.

There is an open-source project at http://www.openadaptor.org/ that I am
involved with. I am currently working on a SOAP provider for it.

Oleg

--
Regards,
Oleg Dulin