axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glen Daniels" <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject Re: Hello, and an issue
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:30:55 GMT
Hello, and an issueHi Scott!

Thanks for using the toolkit, and for the comments.

Re: your problem, this seems pretty weird in that the AdminService is one of the default ones
that's deployed with a "clean" Axis installation.  You should see a file called "server-config.xml"
in your WEB-INF directory of the axis webapp.  Try deleting that file, restarting Tomcat,
then running the client again.  If it still doesn't work, confirm that the server-config file
is there, and that it in fact contains something akin to the following:

<service name="AdminService" pivot="MsgDispatcher">
    <option name="methodName" value="AdminService" />
    <option name="className" value="org.apache.axis.utils.Admin" />
    </service>

--Glen
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Scott Came
  To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 3:59 PM
  Subject: Hello, and an issue

  Hello axis-dev'ers.

  Thanks very much to all of you working on Axis.  My work as a consultant these days is leaning
ever more in the web services direction...at least that's where I'm trying to lead my clients!!
 I've also been doing Java full-time for about four years, and would certainly like to see
a reliable Java SOAP implementation.  Looks like you all are well on the way.  I've used Apache
SOAP and appreciate the improvements you're aiming at with Axis.

  I am currently in the process of reviewing the Axis source, just to learn more about the
project.  I may be in a position to assist on the project in some way...perhaps starting with
docs or something.  I'd like to get a good understanding of the codebase first, then perhaps
ask how I might best contribute.

  Now for my issue...  I have successfully checked out the source, and run the "compile" and
"dist" targets in build.xml.  I get successful builds on both.  Following the install guide,
I copied the axis-1_0/webapps/axis directory to [tomcat-home]/webapps, and copied my xerces
1.4.3 jar file into the axis webapp's lib directory.  I can hit the axis servlet just fine
(http://localhost/axis/servlet/AdminServlet).  However, when I try to deploy the echo sample
using this (executed from axis-1_0\samples\echo):

  java -cp c:\xerces-1.4.3\xerces.jar;..\..\lib\axis.jar;..\..\lib\log4j-core.jar org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient
-lhttp://localhost/axis/servlet/AxisServlet deploy.xml

  I get this on stdout/stderr:

  Processing file: deploy.xml
  <ns1:Fault xmlns:ns1="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
     <ns1:faultcode xmlns:ns4="http://xml.apache.org/axis/">ns4:Server.NoService</ns1:faultcode>

     <ns1:faultstring>The Axis engine couldn't find a target service to invoke! targetService
is AdminService</ns1:faultstring>

    </ns1:Fault>

  I searched the mailing list archives and google, to no avail.  Apologies if this is a newbie
question that's documented somewhere.  Can anyone help?

  I'm running tomcat 3.2.2, Ant 1.4, Xerces 1.4.3, JDK 1.3.1...all on Win2K.

  TIA and best regards,
  --Scott

  Scott Came
  Senior Managing Consultant
  Logical eBusiness Solutions (formerly PSSG)
  scott.came@us.logical.com
  www.logical-nw.com
  (360) 491-7774