axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <>
Subject Re: Remote deployment
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:51:54 GMT

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Glen Daniels wrote:

> As I'm doing this it occurs to me that our current concept of "remote
> deployment" is really kind of odd.  We can squirt a deployment descriptor
> into a running engine, but if the classes that we're deploying for Handlers
> and backends are not already correctly deposited into the server's
> classpath, it doesn't do any good.  So I posit that you need to be on the
> server machine to do deployment in the first place, and therefore that a
> SOAP service which deploys for you doesn't really make a lot of sense.
> Thoughts?

For a SOAP service to be packaged in such a way that it 'self' registers
upon 'arrival' its existence (just a published WSDL description - or a
more proactive registration directly into a local UDDI subsetted registry)
does make sense.

But the above statement has IMHO more to do with operations and trust
levels rather than the technical how.

In almost all cases, the actual way to get a package into its environment
is likely to entail direct access to the system - or at least a trust
level equivalent to that. The 'trigger' to get the environment to see the
SOAP service will require similar, but posibly lest trust.

Once a set of SOAP services is running/operational in a given environment
- there is a lot of (remote)management whcih does make sense. You want to
be able to - at run time - and remotely - finetune a given service;
throttle it - access control it dynamicly and so on. The latter run time
control certainly warrant a lot of interface abstractions.

I'd advocate splitting the pure delpoyment step - i.e. the step of making
a service known to the world which it runs in - and the operational side
later. The latter is a subset of configuration, management and tuning.

In the web world you see similar domain separation; write access to the
right file system typically gets you some publish ability - but access
control or URI space management requires more serious (re)config powers -
and possibly a restart. But some remote tuning and monitoring actions
through SNMP may require a lot less. A similar pattern holds with, say,
LDAP servers or databases in general.

View raw message