axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Doug Davis" <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Obivous use-case which we haven't really covered yet
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:04:52 GMT
+1 on #2.
-Dug

"Glen Daniels" <gdaniels@macromedia.com> on 08/27/2001 11:12:45 PM

To:   <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:  Obivous use-case which we haven't really covered yet

So I've just been thinking about a use-case where the server sends a header
back to the client, where assumedly we have some Handler deployed to read
the header, do something with the data... and then what?

On the server, we have the option to pass the MessageContext into the
service if it wants it - we need something similar so the client can
utilize
extensions.  I can see at least two ways to do this - 1) the client puts
some data structures or callback references into the MessageContext, and
then deployed Handlers on the client side can fill in data or call back as
appropriate.  2) we deliver the final MessageContext back to the
ServiceClient, and make it available to the caller.

(1) works now, but takes some effort.  (2) would be easy for us to add.
Any
objections to doing so?  (the only potential problem I see is if the
MessageContext gets reused and someone external to the ServiceClient has
kept a reference to it... but that's easy enough to avoid)

--G