axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Axis IRC chat reminder - NOTE NEW TIME!!!
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:46:47 GMT
Jonathan Cobb wrote:

> Also, it seems (from the code examples anyway) that to use a custom type
> mapper you have to programmatically register it with the
> TypeMappingRegistry retrieved from the SerializationContext (which in
> turn is pulled from the MessageContext).  Is there any way to
> declaratively register type mappings (perhaps through WSDD or some other
> configuration file) ?

It is not in any of the samples, but the equivalent of the beanMappings (which you can find
in the bidbuy sample) is as follows:

<typeMapping
  classname="samples.addr.Address"
  deserializerFactory
="org.apache.axis.encoding.BeanSerializer$BeanSerFactory"
  serializer="org.apache.axis.encoding.BeanSerializer"
  type="ns:Address" xmlns:ns="urn:AddressFetcher2"/>

Change the values as appropriate and deploy just like in any of the other
samples.

> In this declarative model, any parameters whose types match one of the
> declared mappings would be automatically serialized/deserialized by
> Axis.  The only problem I can see here is if you wanted to have (for
> some crazy reason) multiple type mappings for the same type, and at
> runtime pick which one to use based on various runtime circumstances.

Multiple types automatically serializing to a common representation is not
a problem, but I know of no way to select one for deserialization with the
current implementation.   We have that problem today with vectors and
arrays; we would also have this problem with Base64 and HexBinary (if we
supported HexBinary, that is).

It is my hope that at some point in the (near) future, one of the options
will be to specify the WSDL desired as a part of deployment, as this would
provide the answers to this and a number of other questions.

- Sam Ruby