axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: GetAsDOM
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:12:14 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

> So getAsDOM works by serializing the element out to a string, then
parsing
> that as a mini-document.

We definitely need to do direct SAX=>DOM.  The code should be order of
complexity of DOM2Writer.  Post alpha, of course.

> There's a problem with this, though - it doesn't
> work if there are are namespaced attributes...

[snip]

> Any suggestions?  All I can think of at the moment is to serialize the
> entire envelope, parse it as DOM, and then find the element we're looking
> for in the tree.... (keeping a cached copy of the DOM around, probably)

So...if somebody wants a single header as DOM, we need to do the entire
(potentially humongous) body too?  Ouch!

Materializing only the ancestors to the node in question would address the
namespace problem without requiring us to (a) keep the entire message
around as recorded SAX events and (b) producing a complete DOM equivalent
of the message.

- Sam Ruby