axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: VOTE : Axis 0.5 Release
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2001 18:17:34 GMT
> Would you like to make an alternate proposal, Sam?  Do you think we
should
> wait until we have the V2 deployment descriptor stuff in place?

V2 DD's are only one piece of the puzzle.  In order to anything non-trivial
with xml-soap, one typically requires serializers, deserializers, and
sometimes pluggable providers, not to mention a client.

> Personally, I would vastly prefer concrete suggestions to ambivalence.  I
> would also vastly prefer that we get this codebase together, cleaned up,
and
> shipped sometime soon.  I agree an upgrade path is critical for 1.0, but
> think we have enough on the table now that it would be good to get it in
> people's hands while we continue work.  That is of course only one
person's
> opinion.

Just to be clear, what I am not ambivalent about is the code base that is
currently known as Axis.  I see much potential.

What I am ambivalent about is having a release at this time, particularly
with a label such as "0.5".  What we are working towards is the third major
release of a SOAP implementation, and I see no reason why a renaming should
imply resetting the version number.

I could understand if we had a solid API and an incomplete migration story.
Or a solid migration story and a new API worth evaluating.

One thing I desire in a solid API is to minimize the amount of code
required to invoke or implement a web service.  That's why I have been
focused on WSDL recently.

I also been thinking a bit about configuration.  In Axis, the overhead of
parsing a DOM on the server is eliminated, but now there is the overhead of
parsing a DOM on the client.  And depending on how the client is exposed,
this overhead will be on every request.

- Sam Ruby