axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Pratik Patel <prpa...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: Yesterday's chat log (07/24/01)
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:31:39 GMT
This is a snippet from the log:

[12:33] <NelsonM> It's just that Java 1.3 has a great in-memory proxy
facility that would make client proxy objects a snap.
[12:33] <DugD> grrrr
[12:33] <RobJ> There's a standard reflection trick for using 1.3+
classes without requiring them at compile time.
[12:33] <RobJ> And I would love to use the 1.3 proxies.
[12:34] <GlenDaniels> I'd prefer to have 1.2 work, but I have no problem
putting in optional 1.3 features, personally.
[12:34] <NelsonM> ok, cool. Just something to think about.
[12:34] <RobJ> It wouldn't quite make client proxies a snap -- you still
have to write the stub generator for the interfaces implemented by the
proxy object.

Will RobJ explain this a bit further please:
<RobJ> There's a standard reflection trick for using 1.3+ classes
without requiring them at compile time.

As far as I know, there is *no* way to do anything with a
class/interface that doesn't exist at compile time. I'd love for you to
prove me wrong :) as this would make what I'm trying to do with Apache
SOAP a bit easier. I'm trying to build a client side proxy (using 1.3's
dynamic proxy stuff) that can invoke a remote object (using SOAP)
*without* having to have the stubs beforehand. I know, this a useless
exercise, as people (inc myself) will be building using stubs anyhow,
but the challenge is there.

cheers
Pratik