axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: TypeMappings - lifecycles and locations
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:40:57 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

>1) Global, engine-wide mappings.
>2) Service-specific mappings.
>
>(there's also a potential to define another layer of scoping here, such as
>"accounting department services", which I'd like to keep in mind but not do
>much about now)
>
>Do we want to enable multiple engines with different "global" mappings in the
>same JVM?  If we don't care about this case, let's just make the global
>mappings a statically-accessible singleton, perhaps?
>
>In any case, I don't think MessageContext is the right place for TypeMappings
>to live, and I'd like to pull them out of there ASAP.

I don't see engines as being global.  I could have a server application
with multiple instantiations of AxisEngine.

I can see the need for that application to provide additional mappings.  As
one invokes an engine with a message context, this seems like a reasonable
place to provide this information to me.

- Sam Ruby