axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/utils/cache JavaMethod.java
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:29:33 GMT
Matthew Duftler wrote:

>>    2) One can produce better error messages if a near match is
>> obtained and
>>    verified against.  The best xml-soap could do was to say "method not
>>    found".  In many cases, xml-axis can tell you what signature you were
>>    attempting, what signature would work - even in some cases where an
>>    argument of the wrong type is passed or an argument is missing
>> entirely.
>
>Actually Sam, that code was written by Joe Kesselman several years ago, and
>for as long as I can remember has printed out the signature of the desired
>method in all cases. Just tried this:
>
>Ouch, the call failed:
>  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server
>  Fault String = Exception while handling service request:
>samples.stockquote.StockQuoteService.getQuote(java.lang.String,int) -- no
>signature match

Yes, soap can tell you what method was not found.

What I would like is for axis to be able to tell you - in many cases - not
only what signature you were attempting, but also what signature would work
- even in some cases where an argument of the wrong type is passed or an
argument is missing entirely.

Admittedly this is a minor point.

More importantly, axis will default xsi:type based on reflection of
non-overloaded methods.  This is the function that was temporarily broken
by the change referenced in this thread.

- Sam Ruby