axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Function Test Failure - Axis
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:36:36 GMT
Rob Jellinghaus wrote:
> Can someone look and see why this happened?  This is subsequent to my
> checkin, but I did some post-checkin validation (I have a separate copy of
> the CVS which I use only to update-and-functional-test after every
> checkin), so I don't think my code caused this.
> If this happened as a result of xmltoday going offline temporarily again, I
> am definitely going to remove the IBM test from functional-tests, since
> it's not acceptable to keep getting spurious hiccups like this... you get
> enough false alarms and you'll no longer know when you really have a problem!

Unfortunately, the IBM test is already commented out.

>From what I can tell, there are intermittent, timing problems with
FileTransport.  They seem to happen more often on slower machines (like the
one that is doing the Gump runs).  They seem to happen more often with
slower services (GetQuote("IBM")) than on faster services (GetQuote

What I would like to do is to focus on factor out the transport tests from
the tests which are simply intended to test the end-to-end operation of the

My thoughts at the moment are to move the bulk of the tests to using the
local transport - this is certainly the one that is least prone to being
influenced by other environmental factors.  As the local transport does
everything in one process and thread, this also opens up the possibility of
writing Junit style asserts on the "server" side too.

Don't misread my suggestion - I am not suggesting that we eliminate any
tests.  However, if we had local transport versions of the existing tests,
we could use the results to help narrow down where the problem is.

Make sense?

- Sam Ruby

View raw message